Last Updated on October 11, 2021
Are you willing to play a game at a chance to? What if you found out that it’s a survival game, where those who fail have to lose their lives?
This is the gist for’s Squid Game. Currently one of the most trending shows on the streaming platform, it’s taken the world by storm with its edgy storyline, great actors, and clever symbolisms.
Fast Facts about the Squid Game
Want to know what makes this series so popular? Here are several reasons why (SPOILERS!):
- Squid Game’s writer and director, Hwang Dong-hyuk, wanted the show to be as authentic as possible. That’s why they cast 456 people, including the main actors.
- The giant ‘killer doll’ in the first game (a version of Red Light, Green Light) is real. It was borrowed from a museum in Jincheon County.
- The phone number is also real. The owner received more than 4,000 calls a day since Squid Game aired!
- One of the shows actresses, Jung Ho-yeon (who played Sae-byeok), was a model before joining the cast. It was her acting debut as well.
- There are plenty of foreshadowing and symbolisms in the series. One of them is that, the games that were featured were actually drawn on the walls of the players’ room. It only becomes apparent once the beds are taken out.
- The series’ original title isn’t Squid Game. In 2019, declared that they would release an original Korean series entitled ‘Round Six’.
- Director Hwang originally meant for it to be a movie. The script was done in 2009, but wasn’t picked up by Netflix until 2019.
Funny Squid Game Memes
Many are saying that Squid Game could be one of’s best shows so far. In fact, the series has been no.1 in many countries, like the U.S. and the U.K.. This is hard to verify though, as executives aren’t giving away exact numbers.
Still, the internet is blowing up with Squid Game content like, jokes, videos, and fun facts. It’s obvious that the . If you haven’t watched it yet, there’s plenty of time. For those who have, these Squid Game should be super relatable.